Saturday 10 July 2010

Day 4: Drawing metal



Lyn seemed to be pleased with the progress I was making with the beads...she said there wasn't quite enough depth in the shadows, so I used a 7B to add more depth,also when I printed out the picture in black and white I noticed that some forms became more clear with the absence of colour so I was able to go back in and add further detail to some of the shapes. btw i worked with my naked eye...without the interference of a lens or my glasses and felt so much better at being able to see sharply and work at very close proximity to my work...Lyn laughed she said Ania, you have to loosen up, be more confident with your strokes...(a fleeting thought about blind people and how they do it crossed my mind...perhaps my hands could become my eyes as well...) Today she showed me how I could achieve a lustre in graphite work by having sharp edges and blending the pencil markings.

So I drew a second metal bead...there seems to be more contrast in this one.



















One of Lyn's art works caught my eye in this Alladin's cave...




It is just gorgeous...It is a conte self-portrait of Lyn holding a Kaiteg rug from Daghestan. The story behind this piece was even more beautiful...These rugs found in two villages are used as swaddling cloths for newborns, to wrap jewellery dowries in and also used at death to cover the face of a person who's died. She asks the question 'Who will cover my face when I die?'

No comments:

Post a Comment