Sunday 13 September 2009

Third Eye

I have come to know when working on a project how important it is to have a third eye to help you see a piece objectively. I wondered why this is. Is it because I am so absorbed in the process and in the detail that my working brain finds it difficult to adapt and see the bigger picture? If I distance myself from the project, say through time, my brain doesn’t have to adapt and it sees the big picture more immediately.

If I become the third eye for another person, I am not part of the process, the detail and so therefore I see the big picture.

Being too close doesn’t always allow us to see except through time when we are able to see both the detail and the big picture.

Or perhaps our brains can be trained to do both at the same time?

1 comment:

  1. Two heads are better than one! You can learn a lot from others - and i guess that works by exposing yourself.

    In terms of painting, if you work too closely to it you wont be able to really see it - or you will have seen it for too long that your eyes get used to it. What i do is keep it away for a while then come back to it with fresh eyes and get amazed by the new things I see that I haven't seen before.

    A piece of artwork can speak to you and tell you what you need to do next. You just need to listen to it. Talk to it.. It's a conversation.

    ReplyDelete